tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Apr 29 23:09:32 1997

Re: vaj KLBC

In a message dated 97-04-29 12:16:45 EDT, Voragh writes:

<< vaj  so, then, thus, in that case (adv)
  - bIjeghbe'chugh vaj bIHegh Surrender or die! TKD
  - bIje'be'chugh vaj bIHegh Buy or die! CK
  - naDev juHlIjDaq cha'logh jISopneSchugh vaj jIquv
    It would be an honor to eat twice here at your house, your Honor. PK
  - qorDu' SaHlu'chugh 'ej matlhlu'chugh vaj wa' tlhIngan ghob potlhqu'
    devotion and loyalty to family is one of the most important Klingon
 virtues. S13
  - nuHlIj DawIvpu', vaj yISuv You have chosen your weapon, so fight! TKW

 Are you sure you meant a Type 9 suffix (i.e. the syntactic markers {-chugh}
 etc.)? Sustel didn't use one in the bit you quoted so I don't understand
 your question.

 : We know from TKD that {qI'} means "sign (a treaty)."  How do we know we
can
 : use it for "sign (a book)?"  Please tell me your source.
 :
 : peHruS

 I thought you were agitating for the expansion of tlhIngan Hol. I put the
 reverse question to you: How do we know we *can't* use it for "sign (a
 book)?" Please tell me *your* source. Before anyone asks, {qI'} isn't used
 anywhere in canon. Which of course is the problem.  >>

Yes, I meant finding {vaj} used after V9.  Thanks for the examples you have
provided.
In that I speak Mandarin Chinese, I find it quite easy to use {vaj} the same
way as the Mandarin word {jiu}, then, so, thence, thereupon, therefore.  That
would have put {vaj} commonly after V9s to start the main clause.  But, a
couple of years ago ~mark warned me the words are not similar.  I would like
to see more comments on how to use {vaj}.

I do really want to see tlhIngan Hol expand!!!  My argument was directed at
SuStel.  He has narrowed the usage of tlhIngan Hol more than anyone I have
ever encountered in KLI circles.  Then he used {qI'} to mean "signing
(autographing) a book"; and, TKD (my source) distinctly glosses {qI'} as
"sign (a treaty)."  Since Sustel insists I use tlhIngan Hol only as we have
already seen in canon, I have challenged his usage of {qI'} here.  Of course,
maybe he has seen {qI'} used in canon somewhere I have not.  I do not have
MSN, for example.  He may be able to prove he has correctly used {qI'} for
"autograph."  I want to know his proof.

peHruS

Back to archive top level