tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Apr 25 12:14:42 1997

Re: KLBC: Some Sayings

David Trimboli wrote:
> > ghot SovnIS veHmeymo' laHmeyDaj.
> > A person should know the boundaries due to his abilities.
>
> When {-mo'} is on a noun, it should go before the object, or before the verb
> if there is no object.  This is just like most other Type 5 noun suffixed
> nouns.  And remember: {veHmeymo'} is "because of boundaries," not "because of
> his abilities."  I still don't like {veH} for this, though.

AAH! I see! The mo' refers to the word it is, not any associated.  I
tried to use it adjectively as 'boundaries due to . . . ."

Would (your dislike of veH aside) this work:

ghot SovnIS veHmeyDaj laHmeymo'Daj.
A person should know his/her boundaries caused by/due to his/her
abilities.

> >       jIratlh ghotvetlh reH jIratlhbogh.
> >       I remain that person which I will always remain.
> >
> But grammatically, remember to check your verb prefixes.  Some of these have
> objects, but you've used the no-object prefix!
>
> I don't know that {ratlh} is a transitive word in Klingon.  It means "remain,
> stay," and has been used that way in canon.  It doesn't mean "remain as."
>
> > jIratlh tuq l'maSto'r Y'jImbo puqloD warDIn.
> > I remain Yojimbo, son of Warden, of the House LeMaster.
>
> I *know* you cannot use {ratlh} like this!

I checked with a higher authority, my wife the English professor, and
she says that remain and stay are intransitive verbs and have no
object.  Which agrees with my thoughts on {ratlh} and why I used jI-.
Realize, I am a chamwI' in real life and am often quite literal minded.

Where do you see the objects in my sentences making jI- wrong?

Back to archive top level