tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Apr 25 09:10:19 1997

Terry Pratchett, Klingon, and shrimp

A friend sent this to me. It originated in alt.fan.pratchett, a newsgroup
devoted to the (very funny) works of Terry Pratchett, notably the
Discworld ("DW") series. The man is incredibly prolific AND good... as
opposed to some other authors who apparently manage to be prolific by
publishing everything they write and never editing. (I won't name names,
but I'm thinking of the initials Piers Anthony.)

Pratchett watches the group and sometimes participates. Apparently he
used the phrase "millennium hand and shrimp" in some context. We rejoin
our story, edited for brevity and legibility:

------- Start of forwarded messages -------
In article ... , D. Robertson <[email protected]> writes

From: Terry Pratchett <[email protected]>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 1997 00:19:07 +0100

In article ..., [email protected] writes
> [email protected] writes:

>>> No, but I got the 'shrimp' from Star Trek.  It's a Klingon word.
>>> --
>>> Terry Pratchett
>>
>>Ah, shot down by the highest athourity. Pardon my ignorance but what
the
>>bloody hell does shrimp mean in Klingon? Something like "Please, take
>
>Did you know that there's no Klingon word for "gullible"?

	[NOTE from marqem: if you're confused by the levels
	of quoting, especially if my mailer has decided to
	reformat everything, from here on we are reading
	Pratchett.]

Let me assist this gentleman...

There was a time, a year or so ago, when if ever I used a quote in a DW
book, be it 'Friends, Romans, Countrymen' or 'Four score and seven
years ago...' or 'Today is a good day to die' someone would say I've
pinched it from Trek, where a Klingon said it -- being unaware that Trek is
written by writers quite as predatory as myself when it comes to history.
 So now I just confess to stealing everything from Trek, because it saves
time :-)
- --  Terry Pratchett

     marqem, tlhIngan veQbeq la'Hom -- Heghbej ghIHmoHwI'pu'!
Subcmdr. Markemm, Klingon Sanitation Corps -- Death to Litterbugs!
**              Mark A. Mandel : [email protected]             **
    Dragon Systems, Inc. : speech recognition : +1 617 965-5200
 320 Nevada St., Newton, MA 02160, USA : http://www.dragonsys.com/
          Personal home page: http://world.std.com/~mam/

Back to archive top level