tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Apr 20 08:57:09 1997

Re: KLBC: Re: be'pu'

jatlh SuStel:

> "Spanish women" would be {*Spain* be'pu'}, just as "Klingon women" would be
> {tlhIngan be'pu'}.

Are you sure?  I would think that {*Spaniard* be'pu'} is like {tlhIngan
be'pu'}, and {*Spain* be'pu'} would apply if "Klingon women" was {Qo'noS
be'pu'}.  Klingons come from Kronos, Spaniards come from Spain.
Admittedly, using the word "Spaniard" like that sounds fairly lame, but
I think it is more consistent with the example we have.  Yes, {*Spain*
be'pu'} means "women of Spain," but there could be a American women in
Spain who would fall under that title.  Similarly, if you said {Qo'noS
be'pu'}, it would refer to "women of Kronos," but that would seem not to
imply Klingons, but simply the women that are presently on or from
Kronos.

I don't know, they're just random thoughts.  Recently I helped a friend
out with a question about this very type of thing, and, basing it on how
Klingons use {tlhIngan} in this way, I told him to go with the race
name, not the place of origin when refering to a group of people.

-mIqIraH

Back to archive top level