tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Apr 18 01:50:42 1997

Re: pronunciation of tlh-H

Alan Anderson wrote:
> Can anyone tell me of a "terran" language that has the Klingon {Q} sound?

Someone asked this question on the Linguist List last year and later
posted a summary of the responses he had received.  I seem not to have
kept a copy of that, but perhaps someone else who reads Linguist
(nIchyon?) has done.  Or it can be found in the Linguist archives.
Yes, there are several groups of languages, and many individual
languages, which have an unvoiced uvular affricate.

Re Klingon being unique in having dental {t} and {n} and retroflex
{D} and {S}:  According to Ian Maddieson's _Patterns of Sounds_,
Sundanese has a similar split of dental and alveolar consonants.

--
"reH Sov yInej 'ej Dap yImuS,          <dOstI bA mardom-e dAnA nEkO-st,
 jagh val qaq law' jup QIp qaq puS"     do^sman-e dAnA beh az nAdAn dOst>

Back to archive top level