tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Apr 15 17:46:02 1997

Re: SopDaq

On Tue, 15 Apr 1997, Mark E. Shoulson wrote:

> >> What is likely is that the process is not (or no longer) productive.
> >> No one would deny that _feet_ is formed from _foot_ via umlaut, but
> >> that doesn't make *_beet_ a correct plural form of _boot_.
> >
> >True, but _boot_ and _foot_ don't have the same sound in
> >the middle.
>
> But "boot" and "tooth" do, and yet one is teeth and the other boots.

True, however, words which are pluralized generally base the plural on the
ending, not the middle of the word. The word "boot" does not necessarily
rhyme with "tooth", the only other usable noun that springs to mind that
does rhyme with "boot" is "root", and its plural is "roots", which of
course, rhymes with "boots". So, Mark, I'm not sure what line you were
leading us to...

Just my 3 targhs worth... (Hey, would anyone do me the favor of
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^----- translating that for me?)

Name : Q'ISto'va (Eliseo Christopher d'Annunzio, Esquire)
Email: [email protected]
URL  : http://www.progsoc.uts.edu.au/~qris

Back to archive top level