tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Apr 12 12:51:48 1997

RE: SopDaq

Kenneth Traft wrote:
>If Qong is a verb and Daq added to it makes it the noun for bed then it would
>be used as a nominalizer.

I'll indulge myself here and engage in a bit of necrohippoflagellation. :-)
If {Qong} is a verb, we can add neither {Daq} nor {-Daq} to it.  The only
things we can add to verbs are verb prefixes and verb suffixes.  There's no
way to put anything else on a verb and have the result be understood by the
average *qeng*.

>...Why When there two syllable words
>that "don't" seem to make sense together doesn't mean that words put together
>that make sense should be "understood" in that context.

It's ironic that this sentence uses the phrase "make sense" twice.  I don't
understand it, and I'm sure that if I try harder I'll merely MISunderstand
what you're saying, but I'll give it a go:

"When a two-syllable word doesn't make sense as a compound of a pair of
nouns, it doesn't mean that a pair of nouns compounded in that way should
make sense in that context."

I'm sure I've missed your point completely; my attempt to reword what you
wrote seems as meaningless to me as what you wrote in the first place.

>QongDaq makes sense
>as a sleeping place.  The words Qong and Daq are known and the
>consturction of
>"bed" from that is a logical derivative and warrents serious consideration.
>Especially when we see other word combinations that would seem to support it.

I fail to understand why you think {QongDaq} is a "logical derivative" of
a verb and a noun.  I actually see the logic, but it's based on entirely
too much *assumed* evidence.

"If we assume that {Qong} is a noun..."
"If we assume that {-Daq} is a nominalizer..."
"If we assume that general verb-noun compounds are legal..."
"If we assume that words that don't appear to make sense really do..."

But the only relevant evidence we *have* is that {QongDaq} means "bed".

>It will be interesting to see the new book.  It'll probably make us all seem
>fools.

qoHpu''e' DaH rurtaH nuv law' jay'!

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level