tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Apr 12 02:09:44 1997

Re: SopDaq

Kenneth Traft wrote:
> If Qong is a verb and Daq added to it makes it the noun for bed
> then it would be used as a nominalizer.

Even that is not 100% certain.  It's just possible that {QongDaq} is
no more derived from {Qong} via {-Daq} than _meat_ is from _eat_ via
a hypothetical prefix _m-_.  Granted, that's unlikely, but it can't
be ruled out.

What is likely is that the process is not (or no longer) productive.
No one would deny that _feet_ is formed from _foot_ via umlaut, but
that doesn't make *_beet_ a correct plural form of _boot_.

>  Alan Anderson wrote:
> >>Consider {qa'meH} -- it's emphatically *not* "spirit-bridge", nor
> >>does {nIteb} necessarily have anything to do with "they fill you."
>
> Then again there are probably many words we don't know yet
> and qa' and nI or teb have other meaning that go together.

Possibly, but that doesn't mean that {nIteb} is analysable.  No one
said that all Klingon morphemes are monosyllabic (although most are).

--'Iwvan

--
"reH Sov yInej 'ej Dap yImuS,          <dOstI bA mardom-e dAnA nEkO-st,
 jagh val qaq law' jup QIp qaq puS"     do^sman-e dAnA beh az nAdAn dOst>

Back to archive top level