tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Apr 11 11:47:25 1997

Re: SopDaq

tlhob peHruS:
>How far may we go in constructing new words from the existing roots?

Not nearly as far as you seem to be suggesting.  We know we can put
nouns together productively; we don't have any way to combine verbs
or to make noun-verb compounds.

> Recently I have seen {paqghom} for "library" with no negative comments
>following.

Without context, it just means something like "book-collection" to me.
As it was used recently, it was a reasonable thing to say.  But it does
*not* translate clearly as "library" in isolation.

>  We know that {QongDaq} is canon for "bed."  May I use {SopDaq}
>for "dining table"?

No way!  {Sop} is a verb, and can't be used with a noun to make a
compound word.  Perhaps {SojDaq} would work if the meaning were made
clear otherwise, but by itself it's not "dining table" at all.  It's
a lot closer to the concept of "food court" in my mind.

>How about {ghItlhDaq} for "escritoire"?

I'd tend to read "manuscript-location" more as a place for *storing*
documents, not for *creating* them.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level