tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Apr 09 17:37:07 1997

RE: KLBC Proverbs

On Sunday, April 06, 1997 10:53 PM, [email protected] on behalf of Stefan
(SovwI) wrote:

> I'm trying to translate some proverbs/expresions, how did I do Oh great BG.

That's it, keep bowing . . .

> batlh Daghajbe', nuq bIghaj'e'
> If you don't have honor, what do you have?

Your affixes are a little confused.  "*If* you don't have honor," {batlh
Daghajbe'chugh}.  "What do you have?" {nuq Daghaj?}  {-'e'} is not the correct
suffix, and neither is {-'a'}.  Since you've already got {nuq}, you don't add
{-'a'}.

> nach QaQ wa' ghopDu' Hos wa'vatlh QaQ'a'
> One head is better that one hundred strong hands.

This sentence cries out for law'/puS (TKD 6.6)!  On verbs, {-'a'} is the
interrogative suffix.  It does not mean that the verb is greater than without
it.  But your basic idea is good:

wa' nach QaQ law' wa'vatlh ghopDu' HoS QaQ puS.

Notice that the numbers come *before* the nouns.  When you're numbering
something (one of these, two of those . . .), the number comes before the
noun.

> not lIj nuq loD jatlh ghorgh QeH
> Never forget what a man speaks when he is angry.
> This last was writen on the fly..

Aw, c'mon!  You just took the English words, looked 'em up, and stuck them
there!  In English order, too!  Try again.  Here's a hint: you'll have to
avoid question-as-object (if you want to get in my good graces!) because
you'll want to use the word {nuq}.  You don't need it.  When you think you
want {nuq}, think of {vay'} instead, and work the sentence around it.

> QoQ pIn'a' HoHbe'

"He does not kill the music's big boss"?

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian

Back to archive top level