tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Apr 08 21:16:48 1997

RE: KLBC: Axioms

On Monday, April 07, 1997 12:23 AM, [email protected] on behalf of
[email protected] wrote:

> I think I'm ready for a little translation:

For things like this, you should really label the subject line with "KLBC."

> "Promise little, deliver much."
> bllay' vengmey, HIj qomey
> (Promise cities, deliver worlds)

You're going to have to go back to chapter six of TKD and study basic grammar
again.  The most important thing to remember in speaking in Klingon is that
sentence order is Obj-Verb-Subj.  So, if you "promise cities," "cities" is the
object, and comes first.  {vengmey tIlay'}.

But you're really changed the meaning of this sentence!  We could say it more
as it was originally:

Dochmey puS tIlay', Dochmey law' tIHIj.
Promise few things, deliver many things.

> "Many words, many lies"
> law' mu'mey, law' neptaH

{law'} is a verb.  The original is made up of two noun phrases, not complete
sentences.  We don't have a word for "lie (n)."  Who lies a lot?  Is this
advice by the author?

mu'mey law' tIjatlh 'ej yInepqu'
Say many words, and lie a lot.

> "No one dies twice"
> Heghbe' cha'logh SuvwI'pu'
>  (No warrior will die twice)

{cha'logh}, or any other number plus {-logh}, must come at the beginning of
the phrase.

cha'logh Heghbe' SuvwI'.
A warrior does not die twice.

A better (or at least, more logically sound) sentence might be

cha'logh Hegh pagh SuvwI'
No warrior dies twice.

--
SuStel