tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sun Apr 06 19:12:41 1997

Re: Scout Promise from BSA

ja' qoror:
>I just thought of something interesting.  If <'e'> is really a pronoun, would
>there be anything restricting one from saying <'e'mey vIlay'qu'?> --qoror

charghwI' mu' vIqaw:  yIH rur! yIHoH!

If I were beside someone as he tried to say that, *I* would surely try
to restrict him!  It's an interesting idea, but it bounces right off my
acquired "grammatical reasonableness" filter.  I can't point to a rule
against it, but it doesn't sound right *at all*.

jang ~mark:
>To me, anyway, *any* suffixes AT ALL on 'e' make my flesh creep.  I don't
>really have a problem with the use of 'e' for multiple referents, though.

I'd have said {vI'Ipchu'} and left off the {'e'} altogether.
"I swear it/them absolutely!"

>As to pluralizing it, pronouns aren't like regular nouns in ALL respects.
>Would you say "*SoHpu'" or "*'oHmey" or "*jIHpu'"?  I didn't think so.

As it happens, I *have* said {SoHpu'} (as a plural pronoun, not just as
a perfective verb).  I found that I was talking to two characters on the
MUSH who were being controlled by one player, and the odd word seemed to
be appropriate to indicate the idea of a split personality.  However, it
was apparently a bit *too* odd, and I had to explain what I meant. :-(

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level