tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Apr 03 23:55:57 1997

Re: KLBC: "in"

ja' qoror:

>  qoror here.  The subject I'd like to address now is the word "in."  When
> in the temporal sense, you use "qaSpu'DI'" or "qaSDI'."  When in the locative
> sense, you just used "-Daq."  But I remembered another meaning today:  I don't
> know an adjective, but what about "in" as in "in the Klingon language?"  Does
> anybody know?

Prepositions are the most difficult problem for translations in any language.
There is hardly any 1 to 1 match from one language to another. That's why
when learning a language you'll always have to learn the corresponding
verb-preposition pairs, or you will immediately be spotted a a non-native
speaker. Just two examples:
German              English       most common error  word-for-word
abhaengen von       to depend on  to depend from     to hang off from
sich verlassen auf  to rely on                       to oneself rely on
                                                    (sounds weird, eh?)
and so on (und so weiter).

Prepositions are 'the' pointer showing that you shouldn't translate words
but concepts or meaning. That's what makes translating difficult, but
enables you to broaden your mind to new concepts.

Qapla',
        SuSDuj

Back to archive top level