tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Apr 02 19:14:14 1997

RE: tuH vs tuHmoH

jatlh SI'IluD:

> jItaghpa', qechvam ngachlu'ta' 'e' vISov.
> mu'vaD <tuH> pIm'a' mu' <tuHmoH>.

Before I respond to your question, let me address your grammar.  I think
you're following the English a little too closely, and not getting this right.
 You seem to want to say "Is the word {tuHmoH} different than the word {tuH}?"
 You're trying to use apposition, I believe, for "the word {tuH}."  This is
extremely confusing when referring to words; I think it's pretty clear that
you're talking about a word.  But that's not what's wrong.  Think about how
you're using {-vaD}.  It *could* be used this way, "is {tuHmoH} different, and
this difference is being applied to {tuH}," but I don't think this is the way
it works.  Here's how I would say this:

pIm'a' <tuH> <tuHmoH> je?

Now, this isn't really quite asking what you mean.  You want to know if
<tuHmoH> counts as a verb root, because it's found in TKD.  I have a hard time
talking about this in English, let alone Klingon!  You go on to explain:

> <tuH> <tuHmoH> je ngaS mu'ghom.
> mu'vaD <tuH> pImchugh mu' <tuHmoH> vaj jIghItlh <bItuHmoH'egh>.

If we assume that {ghItlh} counts as a verb of saying here, then we need
merely apply the previous fix:

pImchugh <tuH> <tuHmoH> je, . . .

> mu'vaD <tuH> pImbe'chugh mu' <tuHmoH> vaj jIghItlh <bItuH'eghmoH>

And again.

> pabpo'pu', ghoja'

maSovbe'.
ghaytan wot pIm 'oHbe' <tuHmoH>'e'.
<bItuH'eghmoH> ghItlhlu' net chaw'bej.
<bItuHmoH'egh> ghItlhlu' net chaw'bejbe'.

We don't know.  My opinion is that {tuHmoH} is just {tuH} + {-moH}, added for
our convenience.  It's not a new verb.

--
SuStel
Beginners' Grammarian