tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Sep 03 20:57:11 1996

-qa' for 'again'

jatlh ~mark:
> I really like it.  A *good* use of -qa', like Okrand wanted.  We've
>  stretched it some to mean "again"; this is definitely resumption.

jang SuStel:
> This is true, but also remember that there is at least one canon example of
> this use: {HIvqa' veqlargh}.  Unless the attack was continuous, then stopped
> and is now being resumed . . .

jIjang:
     I have never had a problem with -qa' as "again".  In fact, it seemed to
me to be a particularly smooth and elegant way of expressing the idea.  Forget
for a moment your Human viewpoint.  We see two occurrences of an action as two
distinct and separate actions.  The Klingon viewpoint (imho, but deduced from
canon) is that the two occurences are merely extensions of the same action.
<HIvqa' veqlargh> means to us, "At some time in the past, the Fek'lhr attacked
and now, in a separate incident, he attacks another time."  To a Klingon, it
means, "In his ongoing process of attacking, the Fek'lhr has now implemented
the next stage in the process."

taDI'oS vIq, law'wI'pu'vaD Holtej jIH
|  Thaddaeus A. Vick, Linguist to the Masses   | mailto: [email protected]  -or-  |
|                                              |         [email protected]     |
|  gules, on a saltire argent voided azure,    |                              |
|  thirteen mullets of the second. Yeeha.      |  http://www.crl.com/~dvick   |