tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Nov 21 20:24:29 1996

RE: Beginner

I apologize for the English but I do not speak tlhIngan well enough to
venture this query, or any other statement for that matter, in anything
other than English, German, Finish or Dutch.  What would the tlhIngan
translation for the word BUTTER be?  This bothers me for some twisted reason.

			Ka'ra

>Date: Thu, 21 Nov 1996 16:47:43 -0800
>Sender: [email protected]
>From: "David Trimboli" <[email protected]>
>To: Multiple recipients of list <[email protected]>
>Subject: RE: Beginner
>
>jatlh Jeroen Vantroyen:
>
>>  Sorry for the English, but I am not capable (yet) of writing in tlhIngan.
>>  (is this correct?)
>
>Almost.  When referring to the Klingon *language*, you say {tlhIngan Hol}.
>{Hol} means "language."
>
>>  One of these days, I'm going to buy Marc Okrand's book, but until then,
>>  can anyone tell me where I can find a list of grammar rules or thimgs like
>>  that.
>
>Heh . . . in The Klingon Dictionary.  Best off to buy it.  I don't know if you
>can find such a thing on the Internet; it would probably be a violation of
>copyright.
>
>I'm SuStel, the list's Beginners' Grammarian.  My job is to help newcomers
>like yourself start to learn the language.  My first bit of advice would be to
>take a peek at the Klingon Language Institute's website <http://www.kli.org/>,
>which has all the information a beginner needs, including a like to the FAQ.
>
>>  Also, if anyone could provide me with a Klingon name, I would be very
>>  greatful.  I currently use the Nickname 'Necronomicon'.
>
>As you'll see in the FAQ, you can choose any name you like.  After all, it's
>*your* name.  It doesn't necessarily have to mean something.  And, no, there's
>no translation for "Necronomicon"!
>
>>  otherwise it would have to be
>>  something like 'The book that was written bij the Devil' (isn't the devil
>>  something like 'kalesh'?)
>
>Ack!  {qeylIS DatIch 'e' DangIl'a' jay'?}  You've just insulted the greatest
>Klingon who ever lived: Kahless, the Unforgettable, who united the Klingon
>Empire and brought them the ways of honor!
>
>There is a creature who guards the entrance to {ghe''or}, where the dishonored
>dead go, called the {veqlargh}.
>
>Feel free to ask me any questions about the language you may have!  If you put
>"KLBC" in the subject header, it's a signal that I, the BG, get to correct
>your grammar before anyone else.  That way, you won't get confused by people
>giving you bad advice!
>
>SuStel
>Beginners' Grammarian
>Stardate 96892.5