tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Nov 18 19:32:43 1996

RE: q and Q (was: help with this.)

ghunchu'wI'vo':

> ja' charghwI':
> >All this discussion about {q} {Q} and {H} have me stunned by the
> >recognition that it would be impossible to hear the difference
> >between {baQa'} and {*baqHa'*}. Perhaps this is why there is no
> >verb {*baq*}? Or perhaps Okrand merely misunderstood Maltz?
>
> I think Holtej misspoke when he described {Q} as {q} followed
> immediately by {H}.  I pronounce the fricative portion of {Q}
> much further back in my mouth than I do {H}, as I believe it
> is described in TKD:

ghobe', vIjatlhHa'be'.  {{:)

I agree that the point of articulation is a little different when you're
saying /q/ and /Q/.  But the same can also be said for /t/ and /ch/, where
/ch/ is an affricate, seeming to be a combination of /t/ and /sh/.  It
didn't mean for it to sound so, well, mechanical.  Just injecting a little
linguistic observation.

> -- ghunchu'wI'

--Holtej
Stardate 96884.73