tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Nov 15 18:18:49 1996

Klingon letters (was Re: <K'>vaD ghItlhlu''a'?)

qrlIH (boy is that difficult to pronounce!) is making a couple of false
assumptions.

On Thu, 14 Nov 1996, qrlIH wrote:
> {aw}, {ay}, {ey}, {Iy} and {oy} should be included as they are
> specifically mentioned in TKD, pp._16-17.

qrlIH (and others) consistently seems to imply (and I believe you have
even said) that these diphthong*Hey* should be counted as vowels.  TKD
p.16: "There are five vowels in Klingon."  So how do I account for the
diphthong*Hey*?  Same page says it's a "combination of letters."
Apparently Okrand means them to be seen as vowel-consonant combinations
that need special attention as far as pronunciation.

On Fri, 15 Nov 1996, qrlIH wrote:
> How can you distinguish the validity of a fan writing system from a fan
> language?
> Especially since the writing system appears in Paramount's movies and TV
> shows?  (Of course, in this case the writing doesn't actually *MEAN*
> anything, but that's another debate!)

Actually, as I see it, that is exactly the debate we're having!  Since the
writing doesn't mean anything, how can you possibly use it to support an
argument?  We have "official" rules on how to use the language, but we
don't have any "official" rules on how to use the writing system.  Okrand
has suggested a way to use characters from English to represent tlhIngan
words, but that tells us NOTHING about the Klingon writing systems.  A
name beginning with K' is no more "illegal" than names like r'Hul, qrlIH,
and mayq.  None of them are tlhIngan Hol, all of them are personal names
and thus NOBODY has the right to say they can't be used!  As a matter of
fact, I really like the name mayq.

janSIy

Back to archive top level