tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Nov 15 09:57:34 1996

Re: jIqeqnIStaH

On Thu, 14 Nov 1996, Alan Anderson wrote:

> ghItlh ter'eS:
> >> jej bIr muD.
> >{jej muD 'ej bIr} DaghItlhnIS, qar'a'?
>
> ghobe'.  <jej muD bIr> vIghItlh 'e' vIHech.

jIyajbe'.  If {jej} and {bIr} are verbs with {muD} as their subject, then
a) how can you have two verbs in sequence (in which one isn't the object
of the other or has a subordinating suffix) without {'ej} to join them;
b) how can {muD} actually be the subject of {jej} with {bIr} interposed
(Okrand's examples of elided subjects in TKW have the first phrase take
the subject, not the second)

I read this as "It is sharp (and) the atmosphere is cold".

> -- ghunchu'wI'

-- ter'eS

Back to archive top level