tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 12 17:18:58 1996

RE: KLBC: You can't get there from here...

jatlh Perry J. Brulotte:

>  I was trying to come up with a translation for "you can't get there from
>  here" on my way home for lunch.  I guess it wouldn't be a particularly
>  Klingon thing to say, unless, of course, the Klingon was from Maine or
>  Vermont....

First I'll correct your attempts, then I'll show you a really cool way to do
this . . .

>  K:  Daqvam SoHchugh, vaj Daqvetlh DaghoSlaHbe'.

"If you are this location, then you cannot approach that location."

I am not usually a location, so let's use the Type 5 noun suffix {-Daq}:

DaqvamDaq SoHchugh, vaj Daqvetlh DaghoSlaHbe'.

>  or
>  K:  naDev SoHchugh, vaj pa' DaghoSlaHbe'.

I *suppose* you can use {pa'} as an object.  There's no rule against that,
just against putting {-Daq} on it.  This looks good.

>  or perhaps I should use <leng> as the verb???

You could if you wanted to.

>  I like the ring of the >Daqvam</>Daqvetlh< version better than the
>  >naDev</>pa'< version.  I'd like to get rid of the whole "if" part of it.
>  Is there a way to express from/to in Klingon?

The Type 5 noun suffix {-vo'} "from."

naDevvo' pa' bIjaHlaHbe'.
You can't go there from here.

What do you think?