tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Nov 12 17:18:34 1996

RE: KLBC:Quotes

jatlh taDI'oS:

>  I was intrigued by some things in here, and I am adding my own KLBC
>  questions.  This is not an answer.

>  > English-         You saw his weakness, and he will never forgive you
>  > tlhIngon Hol-    puj Dalegh 'ej DulIjQo'
>  > back to English- You see him be weak and he won't forget you

>       It sticks in my mind that there is a word for forgive.  It's not in
>  pojwI', or the www.kli.org word list, but I'm sure I saw it because I
remember
>  my surprise at finding such an un-Klingon concept represented.  If I'm just
>  imagining things, couldn't you say something like <bortaS ta'bej>?

I keep feeling the same thing, and I have no idea why!  Still, you've got a
good idea here: {bortaS ta'bej} or {bortaS chavbej} convey some of the idea.
However, it's actually more aggressive than what's above.  Someone who never
forgives may not actually seek revenge (ask one of my ex-girlfriends . . .).

>  > English-         That which does not kill us, makes us stronger
>  > tlhIngon Hol-    HoSwI' SuchenmeH SuHoHboghQo'
>  > back to English- You which don't kill for the purpose of building you
>  > 		 stronger
>  >
>  > I'm not positive of the entire structure here.
>       Just my cha' DeQmey, but I'm thinking something like <muHoHbewI'
>  muHoSmoHbej.>

taghwI'vaD bIjang jay'!  jItlhob, jIjangbe' bIjatlh!  bInep jay'!  {{:-)

Beyond a missing glottal stop and the <*gasp*> horrible breaking of trust on
your part, this is a good translation. It doesn't say "makes us stronger," but
making us strong is certainly more than not making us strong, so the meaning
seems to be intact.

nom bIjangchugh, SoH latlh je vIjangnIS.  HIloS!

SuStel
Stardate 96868.0

Back to archive top level