tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Nov 01 17:11:21 1996

RE: wa'leS Quchna' vItuQ

SuStel writes:
>jatlh K'Pach:
>>  Rub it in!  For the first time ever, we here in my yaH ja'chuqlaHbe'
>>  (vengvaS) we were not allowed to tuQmoH Dogh for Halloween.
>nuqjatlh?  jIyajbe'.
>
>Personally, I find it hard to read two languages at once.

I agree, especially when the two languages have such widely differing
grammar.  "Klinglish" macaroni is particularly unsettling...

>But I can't make heads or tails of what you've written here.

I got a lot of accidental practice with the "Paramount dialect" of
tlhIngan Hol a while back. :/  It's easy, actually: just forget the
grammar completely, translate literally, and read it in English. :)

yaH ja'chuqlaHbe' (vengvaS) = duty station can not discuss (city-hall)

There's a lot of missing syntactical glue here, but it sounds to me
like K'Pach/Lee isn't supposed to mention that he works for City Hall.
This might work if there were a {vI-} and a {-bogh} on the verb.

toQmoH Dogh = put on (clothes) silly

Here, the parenthetical hint in TKD was apparently mistaken as part
of its definition, so the word "clothing" itself was left out.  The
adjectival use of {Dogh} thus doesn't work, since there's no noun.
I'm pretty sure {Sut Dogh toQ} or {jech toQ} says what K'Pach/Lee was
trying to get across.

-- ghunchu'wI'

Back to archive top level