tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Nov 01 14:49:54 1996

RE: KLBC: some translations

jatlh HurghwI':

>  It would appear that my main problem is that I didn't know how to use
{'e'}.
>  The vague dictionary definition had led me to believe that one could use it
>  to basically call attention to the previous topic/subject of conversation.

Yes, that's what it does.  You see, the first sentence becomes the object of
the second sentence.  I can say (with all pronouns added for ease of
understanding) {jIQuch jIH} "I am happy."  I can say {SoH qaHon jIH} "I doubt
you."  I can doubt a person or a thing.  Can I doubt that I am happy?  Sure!
{jIQuch jIH 'e' vIHon jIH}.  Or, removing unnecessary pronouns, {jIQuch e'
vIHon}.

Think of this as two sentences (which, essentially, it is).  {jIQuch jIH} "I
am happy."  {'e' vIHon jIH} "I doubt that."  The "that" is referring to the
previous sentence.  It acts as a marker which bundles all of the previous
sentence into a tiny little three-letter package and sticks it into the object
position of the second verb.

>  Also, can I just use Dochvetlh for "one (of those)," because my point was
>  try and translate _without_ a specific noun.

{Dochvetlh} is "that thing."  "One of <something>" is a highly controversial
thing to say in Klingon, and one which I am definitely not qualified to
answer.  You could ask Holtej (d'Armond Speers), or read his article in the
latest HolQeD.

>  When I said "'That,' I said,' I meant "'(Insert previous topic here),' I
>  said." I was not trying to say the word "that."

Okay, you just have to remember that when using verbs of speaking ({jatlh},
{ja'}, {tlhob}, etc.) you don't use {'e'}.  There's no particular reason for
it as far as I know; that's just the way it is.  :)  Also, you don't use {'e'}
when you are talking about "wanting" something (using {neH}).  These
exceptions are found in TKD 66-67).

SuStel
Stardate 96837.5

Back to archive top level