tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed May 29 09:23:21 1996

Placement of qatlh (Was: Re: nuqneH)

charghwI' caught my error:
& > But if he said "nuqneH," I'd be likely to say "nuq DaneH
& > SoH? HIq jItlhutlh vIneH. qatlh tachDaq jIba' 'e' DaQub jay'?"
&
& Try {tachDaq jIba' qatlh 'e' DaQub jay'?!} Remember that
& {tachDaq jIba'} is not contained as a phrase in {qatlh 'e' DaQub
& jay'?}. They are two separate, but adjacent sentences. We just
& punctuate it as if it were one, since that's what Okrand does,
& even though he describes it as two separate sentences.

Posting hastily is an excellent way to expose ones weaknesses, and
thus learn. I see now why qatlh was in the wrong place. Could I
also put {jay'} between {jIba'} and {qatlh} in your corrected
version?

In English, the sentence, "Why do you think the targ killed the spy?"
could mean either, "What makes you think the targ killed the spy?" OR
"What do you think caused the targ to kill the spy?"

Is the same true for <ghoqwI' HoH targh qatlh 'e' DaQub?> ?
Would <qatlh ghoqwI' HoH targh 'e' DaQub.> mean "You are thinking
about why the targ killed the spy." ?

& charghwI'
wovwI'Robyn Stewart - NLK Consultants Inc. - [email protected]

Back to archive top level