tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue May 21 10:26:12 1996

Re: tlhob mughwI' & KLBC

At 12:34 PM 5/20/96 -0700, maqoS wrote:

>\ I didn't know, could you please explain why I couldn't use ",". Would
>\ {vIHevDI', potlhbe' qastaHbogh poH'e'} be correct?
>I didn't say you couldn't use ","; it's optional.  Your sentence shifts the
>emphasis so that the "being important" is taking place at the same time as
>the "receiving", which is not the intent.  Grammatically it looks fine to me
>(but if you're going to start comparing translations, you should put a KLBC
>in the subject and ask ghunchu'wI'.  I'm only discussing this because it was
>originally my sentence and I know what I meant to say. :))

I didn't mean to say "couldn't use it", I actualy meant discarded the idea,
but I see what you mean. No, I didn't want to involve ghunchu'wI' because it
was your sentance and I was just looking for an explanation on other
possibilties. (Different word order, naturaly not straying from O|S|V,
because I have difficulty with my word ordering.)

>\ I would just like to quote ghunchu'wI':
>\
>\ {-Daq} is a general-purpose
>\ locative suffix, and can indicate position, destination, direction, or
>\ other similar ideas."
>
>Our esteemed Beginner's Grammarian is of course correct.  Nor do I
>disagree. {-Daq} is a general purpose *locative* suffix. It can
>indicate position (in space), destination (in space), direction (in
>space) or other similar ideas (about space) - but, so far as we know,
>not any of those things with regard to *time*.

But I always assumed, that you are at a location in time, which is shown by
the clock, thus {-Daq} would be possible to add, as suffix, to a place in
time. Because, as you know time goes forward, thus indicating that there is
directional movement, but I think as this is not indicated in any of the
tlhIngan Hol canons, I can savely say, "I'm wrong, at this point in time."(c;{{{

Qapla'

beHwI"av

Back to archive top level