tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon May 20 11:33:45 1996

Re: Phonology once again (was: Re: qaSovlu' jIneH)

At 08:32 AM 5/18/96 -0700, marqoS wrote:

>No, the *word* doesn't contain any glottal stops.  The word contains two 't's
>and an 'l'.  The fact that it is pronounced with glottal stops in some
>cases doesn't give those stops independent existence within the word.
>_TKD_ was aimed at a predominantly US audience, and so the example would have
>been useless (unless Okrand wrote "... as pronounced by Ringo Starr",
>perhaps. :))

You are ofcourse correct and I am just pushing you 'cause I enjoy enoying
people, here you're Klingon. Nothing like a good fight, exept two good
fights. (Would of been a great example though. Have you ever noticed that
liverpudlians would make great Klingons, they drink large quantities of ale,
fight for fun and the accent is allmost the same.)

>Now, when the word "glottal" is followed by a pause, such as at the end of
>a phrase, or when pronounced in isolation, there is a glottal stop terminating
>the /l/ sound - even in typical American pronunciation.  But as a general rule,
>someone not practiced in identifying distinct sounds that aren't phonemes in
>his native language will have trouble isolating that sound and making it
>independently.

That is true, this is one of the reasons few Dutch people speak less than
one language, because of the diversity of their own language.

>> When I get hit in the stomach by a football, my reaction is to breath out.
>> I've tried it.
>Okay, so maybe still not a good universal example.  :)

It's a good enough example though, you could also say "the sound you make
just before you swallow your tongue." (c:{{{

Qapla'

beHwI"av

Back to archive top level