tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu May 16 15:19:58 1996

Re: Optima: KLBC

Ford writes:
>The concepts of maxima and minima seem to be quite nasty.

We do have a way to express superlatives using the law'/puS construction,
with the word {Hoch} in the second noun's slot (TKD 6.6):

{la' jaq law' Hoch jaq puS} "The commander is boldest of all."

A straightforward revision of this can give:

{Hoch jaq law' la' jaq puS} "The commander is the least bold of all."

> I thought of this:
>
>    "What is the maximum warp factor of flying chocolate",
>
>and panicked. This is about as far as my thought went:
>
>    *......* 'oH nuq'e'        what is *......*
>    puvbogh juch *......*      *......* of flying chocolate
>
>Then I ran into the no superlative adjective problem...

There are lots of games we can play with law'/puS, but most of them
are rather ugly.  It's not simple to pick out one of its parts to be
referred to elsewhere.  The best ones often use multiple sentences.

>What am I meant to do if I want to translate something like "maximum speed"?
>Should I try to say something like "speed which is bigger than .." nope,
>nothing seems to be working, this time...

{puvtaHbogh yuch pIvlob tIn law' Hoch tIn puS.  nuq 'oH pIvlobvetlh'e'?}
"The warp factor of flying chocolate is greatest.  What is that warp factor?"
This comes close, but it's not perfect.

{nuq Do tIn law' puvtaHbogh yuch Do tIn puS?}
"What speed is faster than that of flying chocolate?"
This is also imperfect, especially with the suspicious phrase {nuq Do}.

There's no simple formulaic answer.  A direct translation isn't possible
here, but there are usually *good* translations.  In this specific case,
I think I can suggest a reasonable alternative to your attempted phrasing:
{pIvlob 'ar chavlaH puvtaHbogh yuch?}
"How many warp factors can flying chocolate achieve?"
This treats a "warp factor" as a measure of velocity (like km/h).