tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu May 16 11:31:48 1996

Re[2]: Beginner's questions

"We consider Marc Okrand the only legitimate source for additions to the
language."
THIS is why tlhIngan Hol isn't (yet) a language.  It isn't a living, growing
thing as long as there is this resistance.  "Khomerex nal khesterex." --to quote
The Final Reflection.

"The stuff done by the ST writers is only incorporated after Marc Okrand has
backfit it in a published work (such as the words introduced by writers for TNG
and then included in the addendum to TKD)."
The fact that all of this if copyrighted and therefore inaccessible to all is
another reason why The Warrior Tongue isn't a "real" language.  "Is not truth
truth for all."  --to quote the old series.

"no officially sanctioned mapping."
This no official piQaD pisses me off.  You can't really learn a language if you
can't use its alphabet.  I imagine it's very difficult to learn Japanese without
the benefit of katakana and kanji.  Is Russian taught without the Cyrillic
alphabet?

"The KLI does, however, use a simple alphabetic mapping between the Roman
transcriptions and a subset of the characters that have appeared on screen; this
mapping is given in the first issue of _HolQeD_, and fonts making use of it are
available from the KLI."
Again, unless you have access to someone's back issue collection . . . .

Any offense was not intended.
--bangteH

Back to archive top level