tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon May 13 17:22:20 1996

Re: Days of the Week

ghItlh Mark Mandel <[email protected]>:

> 3. I don't know the old Germanic name, which was evidently
> supplanted by the Romance one. Saturn wasn't really a god of time,
> but he was seen as equivalent to the Greek Kronos. Now, Kronos is
> not the same word as chronos, any more than "tree" and "three" are
> the same in English, but many people have treated the character as
> though they were, and Kronos/Saturn is often viewed as a very old
> man (or Titan), as in Holst's "The Planets". If you have a better
> idea, yIchup!

Hmm...I like most of your suggestions.  It would be nice, of course, to
have a little better knowledge of Klingon theogeny, cosmology, and so
forth, but since they unlikely have our typical 7-day week, names would
of course be adapted from our system anyway.
	The "chronos/Kronos" conflation does seem a bit much to me,
though (which of course you acknowledge)--exchanging one name for another
simply because they sound the same to English-speakers.  But if we're
doing that anyway, how about *Qo'noSjaj for "Kronos's Day", since the
similarity in sound between the Homeworld's name and the Greek god has
already been noticed?  Another idea: in Greek mythology, Kronos was the
ruler whom Zeus had to defeat to assert his own authority.  Drawing a
*very* tenuous parallel between this story and a Klingon myth that we
actually do know, how about *molorjaj (if we see Kahless's defeat of
Molor as somewhat similar)?  Okay, so Molor probably wasn't Kahless's
father, but it might work.

qechHommeywIj bIH Doch rammeyvetlh.

Jon Van Hoose
[email protected]