tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat May 11 04:16:01 1996

Re: paghDIch

At 12:28 PM 5/2/96 -0700, you wrote:

>>Date: Thu, 2 May 1996 08:17:45 -0700
>>From: "R.E.Newcombe" <[email protected]>
>
>>So what's wrong with paghDIch ?
>
>>Never heard of "Newton's zero th Law of thermodynamics" ?
>
>I've heard of the Zeroth Law... but I don't think it was Newton's.  It also
>doesn't make much sense for it to have been an named so by an early
>scientist in the field: I think what happened was they had the three laws,
>named first second and third... and then somebody realized there was a more
>basic one that the others presumed but wasn't stated (basically, that heat
>is heat), and that became the Zeroth.

You're taking about Isaac Asimov's Laws of Robotics.(I'd like to quote them,
but my hard disk was wipped and I'd have to type them all in.)Basicly:
law 1 A robot may not harm a human or through inaction let a human come to harm.
law 2 A robot must folow orders unless this conflicts with the first law.
law 3 A robot must keep itself from danger unless this conflicts withthe
first or second law.

Then this smart little robot (Gizard) desides that the fate of humanity is
more important than the fate of one man and died (his posnetronic brain
melted) in the prosess of implementing it.

law 0 A robot may not harm humanity or through inaction let humanity come to
harm.

Qapla'

beHwI"av

Back to archive top level