tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu May 09 05:54:28 1996

Re: "Correctness" of new Klingon words

Out of curiosity, how many people on this list have names that are words?

Not like Warren, Bill, Bob but full names:

such as Robin Day <[email protected]>
or myself, Frank Max Truelove <[email protected]>

I have this theory that people with double entendre names have a greater love of
puns than most people, i.e. "so please bear with me..(or any
other cute/fierce Ha'DIbaH of your choice)."

'Still, at least I know enough English to understand the difference between
"canon" and  "cannon". . "Canon" seems rather an "in" word on this list
doesn't it?'  MEMORY TRICK:  A cannon is transported in the field behind a
limber but canon is inflexible.

"Maybe we should make allowances for Klingons speaking on film and t.v."
I have a tendency to view Star Trek films and shows as Dramatizations broadcast
to citizens of the Federation.  In other words, these are only representations
of "real" events.  So, in my view, the actors are portraying actors and the
actors portraying Klingons are human.  Thus B'etor's blood being different from
Chang's -- someone in Federation Entertainments Post-Production made a mistake.

So, some of the Klingon is merely meant to be representative, not accurate.  In
the same way that some Westerns made in the 70's and 80's used Native American
actors to portray members of tribes with which they had no affiliation.  By the
way, many of the "representative language snippets" in such films are actually
very dirty jokes and epithets.

Still, I very much like the "Hinterland speak" and the loanwords theories.

This group is, of course, about the study of tlhIngan Hol according the Hoyle,
with MO as Hoyle.

Are there groups for a broader, less academic study of the language from ALL
sources 'enhanced by "un-schooled"'; a group where 'words are noted as "foreign"
or "Colloq" or "dialect" or "brand name" etc.'

Not that I want to leave this group, it's just that I'm a junkie.  "I'm just
concerned that the baby might get thrown out with the bath water if one is too
purist with the Klingon language."  I share this sentiment and I truly think
that it's the junkies (not the purists) that got a Space Shuttle named
Enterprise.

I hope I haven't offended anyone.
With a name like bangteH, I would truly regret it.

Back to archive top level