tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon May 06 03:41:35 1996

Re: Cannon for Multiple Consonants

>> Last time I checked 'rgh' was two consonants. {{;-)
>
>This brings up an unfortunate topic. I am having a great difficulty
>distinguishing my pronounced 'gh' from my pronounced 'rgh'!
>
>Is there any defined hint at the pronunciation of this cluster?

It's strange Okrand uses this with explaining it...
Is it supposed to be a distinct phoneme (hasn't been
declared as one) or what? Since TKD doesn't mention
anything about this in the alphabet/pronunciation section
I take it as r + gh and not separate phoneme. The easiest
way to handle it at least.

> -y' and -w' are also consonant clusters.

Are not. TKD lists y and w as vowels as far as I can recall.

y = diphthong forming I
w = diphthong forming u

Sa' qIQwI'

Back to archive top level