tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat May 04 23:35:45 1996

Re: KLBC: "Bringer of certain death"

>HoHwI' writes:
>>        Okay, I'm trying to say (as a title/name of an entity) "Bringer of
>>Death".  I got this far *qemwI' Heghbej*.  Now this seems good to me but I
>>have a sneaking suspicion, I'm saying "the bringer's death".
>
>"He certainly dies the bringer."  {-bej} is a verb suffix, so {Hegh} is
>obviously a verb in this phrase.  Since "die" doesn't really work with an
>object, the end result is pretty strange.

        Wow, did I ever mess that one up!  That was probably because I came
up with that phrase in about five minutes.
>If you want to say "certain death", try using the noun suffix {-na'}.

        You're right, {-na'} is much better.

>And your suspicion is justified -- to say "X of Y", Klingon puts the
>words in the order {Y X}.  That's the same order as English, by the
>way; "bringer of death" is "death bringer".
>
>-- ghunchu'wI'               batlh Suvchugh vaj batlh SovchoH vaj

        Try this one {Heghna' qemwI'}.  A little better I hope.

Back to archive top level