tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri May 03 02:38:13 1996

Re: paghDIch

[Quoting David Barron]

> > So what's wrong with paghDIch ?
> >
> > Never heard of "Newton's zero th Law of thermodynamics" ?
> > Works for me !
>
> I have to agree.
> It has been a few years but in some of my old math classes
> we were raising 10 to the zero-th {paghDIch} power.

Another use of paghDIch: in computer science. Since computers count
from 0 up to n-1 (and not from 1 to n) you see the zero-th "something"
mentioned a lot in descriptions of new algorithms and the like. Often
this is with a subscript of 0 in stead of writing "zeroth" or
something, but paghDIch would be perfect there if you wanted to
describe something like that, in stead of using a rule of thumb to
call it the first (thus actually "being off" 1 in every subscripted
element you name)..

Qapla'
peSHIr

P.S. Yes, I study computer science. ;-)