tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed May 01 10:47:14 1996

RE: Thesis

kaylar writes:
>In this country, you don't even let someone see the cover of the tkd--
>I have had friends look at me in this careful way and ask me if I
>'really believe' in Klingons, while others ask me if I have nothing
>better to do with my time--and a third set don't even want to hear about
>it.

That's not a problem for me.  *Everyone* I work with has some unusual hobby.
One person shoots deer almost religiously every fall.  One competes with
other people pulling heavy objects with modified farm tractors.  Someone
else collects comic books and is building a temperature- and humidity-
controlled cabinet in which to keep them.  The beer-brewer isn't treated
quite as skeptically as the others (like the family whose son thought he
was a chicken; they didn't want to cure him, because they needed the eggs).
So I speak Klingon.  In the great scheme of things, it's not a big deal.

I *do* get a few head-shaking comments -- "Why not learn a language you can
actually use?"  But as soon as I explain that it's a hobby, they usually
recognize that hobbies are *supposed* to be enjoyable ways to waste time!
And as time goes on and more and more honorable people learn to read and
write and speak the language, we'll be creating more and more truly great
literature and possibly even a real subculture.  Hey, it could happen.