tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Mar 13 07:04:57 1996

Job Titles

Yesterday, I was having lunch with one of the owners of our company.
We were discussing the fact that we have not really assigned good job
titles for the various people here at the Labs.

In the midst of this discussion, he absolutely floored me by not
only offering me the chance to select my own title, but suggesting I
could list it in tlhIngan-Hol on the business card!!!  He may not
follow through, but I have no intention of missing the chance.  (For
some reason, my interest in things Klingon *fascinates* [and I
suspect befuddles] him.)

So, here are some options.  First, I rejected "wizard", or any
variant.  It's just too "cutesy" in the computer world, plus I don't
think the connotations can carry to tlhIngan Hol, and finally, in
Georgia it can have another interpretation altogether <grin>.

In discussion with my manager, I had already suggested a title along
the lines of "System Controls Manager", because I am handling both
system administration and quality assurance procedural control
matters.  We also agreed that an appropriate sub-title (or gloss)
would be "anal retentive control freak" <BIG grin>

I translate System Controls Manager as
   pat SeHwI'mey vu'wI'
Does that look right to everyone?  (I can get *really* confused on
word order sometimes, but I think that is according to Hoyle)

For the sub-title, I didn't try to translate at all, but to some up
with something carrying the same sense.

Here are some possibilities:

DochHommey SeHwI' => Controller of Small Things

ghewHommey Qaw'wI' => Destroyer of Small Bugs

ghewHommey bIj'wI' => Punisher of Small Bugs

I welcome any and all corrections of grammar or suggestions as to how
best to convey either idea, especially the idea of "ARCF".

[ARCF = Someone who knows when to sweat the petty things and when to
pet the sweaty things  {{:)  ]

'etlhqengwI'

Garrett Michael Hayes;  Client/Server Labs
8601 Dunwoody Place, Suite 332,  Atlanta, GA 30350
[email protected],  http://www.cslinc.com
770-552-3645 voice, 770-993-4667 fax
(Opinions expressed are my own and may
not be those of Client/Server Labs, LLC)

Back to archive top level