tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Mar 12 12:09:44 1996

Re: KLBC: Q about -lu'

charghwI' makes some good points about -lu'.  I won't go so far as to say
that I retract what I said before about 'e' Xlu' being forbidden "only"
because it was overshadowed by "net", but perhaps charghwI''s points may
help us guess as to why that's so.  I think even charghwI' will concede
that the object of a verb with -lu' is *still* the object, and is never the
subject... but then those prefixes DO seem to hint that it's almost
otherwise.  It may be that charghwI' is right, that 'e' is just too
peculiarly "objectish" a word to be even the sortakinda subject of -lu',
and so "net" was needed.  It's certainly worth considering.

Of course, I wouldn't put it past Okrand to throw in a rule just to throw
it in.  He did it in other places.  It' snot like he was trying to create a
perfectly consistent language...

~mark

Back to archive top level