tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Mar 11 15:32:41 1996

Re: Time (Out)

>There must inevitably
>come a time when we stop accepting every example from Marc Okrand
>as canon.  We already do that to some extent when we discount the
>obvious mistakes like {cha'maH wa' rep} for noon, or a blatantly
>mispronounced syllable.  But the repeated oddities, like "wrong"
>placement of the subject in a ritual toast,

On this one, you should be careful.  I don't know whether this was just done
to cover a mistake or two, but in the CK tape (not PK, right?) Okrand
specifically states that toasts "follow special grammatical rules."  I would
suggest that the toasts on the tapes should be accepted as completely
correct, but not necessarily grammatical examples.

> or showing indirect
>objects with verb prefixes, still carry the force of grammatical
>law.

Ugh.  As you know, I hate those, too.

> Because of their strangeness and contradiction of the rules
>as originally presented, I prefer to use the older forms instead
>of the apparently equally valid "shorthand" constructions.  But I
>will not, and can not, ignore the {SoH 'Iv} and {Dochvam nuq}
>examples from Conversational Klingon.

I always saw {Dochvam nuq} as "Wazzat?", which is an oddity, not a rule!

About {SoH 'Iv} . . . isn't there a funny problem with subject and object
sometimes switching places when using the English verb "to be" in a statement
of equivalancy?  I don't know much about it, but if I'm right, then perhaps
this either (1) confused Okrand, or (2) made him decide that something
similar happens in Klingon.

SuStel
Hovjaj 96194.2

Back to archive top level