tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jul 26 16:14:16 1996

Re: ghoS or ghoS

My read of {ghoS} has always been something like "travel
the X path" where "X" is the object of the verb. When I
say, {juHwIj vIghoS}, I mean "I go home" or "I travel the
home path; the path leading home." You tend to name paths
after their destination, so if you travel a course with a
particular destination, you tend most often to approach
that destination rather than move away from it, but that
does not necessarily have to be the case, hence the very
vague definition in TKD.

I usually use {-vo'} when moving away from something with
{ghoS} and use no locative suffix at all when moving toward
something with {ghoS}. Most people seem to understand when
I do that.

charghwI'

On Fri, 12 Jul 1996 12:48:07 -0700 [email protected] wrote:

TL>ghoS - approach, come
> TL>ghoS - go away from
>
> TL>I was doing some translating while at work; I have used this word many times
> TL>under both translations, today it struck me when I encountered a sentence
> TL>that could be translated either way.
>
> TL>molorDaq ghoS qeylIS
>
> TL>Kahless is standing a couple yards from Molor.  Is Kahless going away from
> TL>Molor, or is he approaching and moving closer to him?  There isn't a picture
> TL>to show which direction he is facing.
>

> TL>DloraH
> all of the def and usages of ghoS I have seen put it very clearly as an
> approach. jaH is go--so ghoS is not simply movement it is movement
> towards.

Back to archive top level