tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Fri Jul 19 08:38:50 1996

existence

  On 19 Jul 96 at 0:15, A.Appleyard wrote:
> ... it is time Okrand provided a Klingon word for "to exist".

  Garrett Michael Hayes <[email protected]> replied (Subject: Re: Any
philosophers out there?):-
> Why? It seems to me that the absence of such a term focusses tlhIngan Hol
> nicely into an active state rather than a passive state. ...

  Even in a hard action-minded and attacking-first people with no tendency to
philosophise, the idea of simple existence or nonexistence arises sometimes.
E.g.:-
  (1) A village headman on Qo'noS, pressed hard about why he has not delivered
as ordered {qagh} which the local commander had allocated in advance in large
amounts to this officers' barracks and that, may finally and heatedly have to
say e.g. "The qagh that your orders refer to DO NOT EXIST, therefore I could
not have withheld them. The marsh where they breed has dried up in the
drought, as I kept trying to tell you. I can't help the weather.".
  (2) The captain finally found out by a more reliable source than the Ferengi
traders, that the dilithium referred to in the invoice <existed>, but it was
far too far away for him to get hold of it in time for the coming battle.

Back to archive top level