tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jul 11 19:20:52 1996

RE: usage of Hoch and latlh

> Glen's response to Mark Shoulson and d'Ammond Speers:

My name is d'Armond, if you please.  Or Holtej.  {{:)

This response is quite thorough, and it's obvious that it's the product of
thoughtful consideration.  However, it also contains half-truths, critical
ommisions, and outright errors.  Let's see what Glen has for us today.

> The most notorious misuse of <<tlhIngan Hol>> since the <<-ghach>> debate
was
> settled (It's still not settled in my opinion as I see a lot of bad
<<-ghach>>
> constructions out there) is the placing of <<Hoch>>,  <<bID>>,  and
<<latlh>>
> in NOUN-NOUN (N-N) constructions.  All three of these MUST PRECEDE the
nouns
> modified and not follow it.  The issue of partitivity is not dealt with
under
> that name, but it IS explained in TKD.  The problems of interpretation I
see
> by Klingonists is their failure to understand parts of speech as they
apply to
> <<tlhIngan Hol>>.

Okay, let's see.  [As for /-ghach/, whether you see bad constructions or
not is not germane to Okrand's having provided us more information about
its use.]

> Although Okrand refers to only three parts of speech:  <<DIpmey>>,
> <<wotmey<<, and <<chuvmey>>, you cannot simply look something up in the
word
> lists to see which of the three categories the word in question falls
under
> and then automatically know how to use it.  You must study the text of
the
> grammatical explanations and the examples given.

Fine.  I think that's a pretty good description of what we do here on this
list.

> The first MISCONCEPTION is that numbers ARE NOT nouns, because they are
listed
> in the chuvmey section.  Although numbers in every language fall into a
> special category, Klingon numbers are either NOUNS or ADVERBS (TKD 5.2,
pp
> 54-55).

Um, in Klingon, numbers are numbers, chuvmey, and, quoting TKD 5.s, pp
54-55, "numbers are USED AS nouns" (my emphasis).  It does not say that
numbers are nouns.  It says they are used as nouns.  They also have other
uses, which, studying the text of the grammatical explanations and the
examples given, is clear.  I think I am correct in labelling numbers as
chuvmey, since they are listed in TKD 5, "Other Kinds of Words", which
Okrand calls /chuvmey/.   I'll give plenty of examples of how numbers are
numbers and not simply nouns in the discussion below.

> A number plus a noun is a de facto N-N construction and must be
> treated as such.  We know that the expression <<pagh tlhIngan means zero
> Klingons, no Klingons OR non of the Klingons, i.e., partitive.

Okay, let's see if I follow you.  number + noun is N-N, and must be treated
as such.  Quoting TKD 3.4, p. 30-31, "the translation of two nouns combined
in this way, say N1-N2 (that is, noun #1 followed by noun #2), would be N2
of the N1."  Okay, N2 of the N1.  /pagh Klingon/.  Klingon(s) of the zero.
 I think I have that right.  Note that it is *not* "zero of the
Klingon(s)."  Treating number + noun as N-N does not yield the translation
which we know that number + noun has, so I have additional reason for
believing that numbers are not simply nouns (other than them being
discussed in the /chuvmey/ section, and not in the noun section).   They do
not behave like nouns in N-N constructions.  They behave like numbers,
which is not surprising to me.

This not withstanding, I do find something of note in TKD 5.2.  Nowhere in
there are we given an example of number + noun, where the translation
includes "of the."  We are, though, given /mulegh cha'/, "two (of them) see
me."  (And /wa' yIHoH/, the analysis of which is identical).  Now, is this
a number acting as a noun, or is this a number with the subject pronoun
omitted?  Is it really /mulegh cha'/, or is it /mulegh cha' (chaH)/?  Given
the text of the grammatical explanation, it looks like it's a number acting
as a noun in the subject position, not as /cha' (chaH)/.  "They (numbers)
may stand alone as subjects or objects...."  So, it looks like the two
examples that Glen is using to extrapolate an analysis of partitives are
not, in fact, num + noun, but numbers standing alone as nouns.

Everywhere in TKD we have examples of num + noun, we are given translations
like "four children", not "four of the children."  Nowhere are we given a
number + noun with a partitive interpretation.

> Since pagh
> tlhIngan>> means "NONE of the Klingons", it stands to reason that its
opposite
> "ALL of the Klingons" must follow the same pattern, <<Hoch tlhIngan>>.

I'll accept /pagh tlhIngan/ as "no Klingon(s)", but I have seen no evidence
*anywhere* to support the translation "none of the Klingons."  Thus I see
no evidence for /Hoch Klingons/ as "all of the Klingons", only as "all
Klingons."  That is, I see evidence for the presuppositional
interpretation, not for the existential interpretation.   (I think I
mis-labelled the constructions in the post when I first described the
distinction.  "Q of the X" is presuppositional, "Q X" is existential.)  At
any rate, whatever you label it, it's not partitive.

> Similarly, even though <<bID>> is listed as a noun and not a number,
COMMON
> SENSE should tell you that if numbers are used as nouns, then nouns
expressing
> quantity, even though they are not listed as chuvmey, must follow the
rules of
> other numbers.

Stands to perfect reason.  This is precisely why I see /pagh tlhIngan/ and
/Hoch tlhIngan/ as "no Klingon(s)" and "all Klingon(s)", since that's how
TKD describes the interpretation of num+noun.

> Much of this
> confusion in the Klingon public may stems from the misapplication of TKD
3.3.4
> concerning possession, where we are told that "the enemy's weapon",
<<jagh
> nuH>>, can also be translated "weapon of the enemy."  This led to the
grand
> and erroneous conclusion that all, "OF THE" constructions, should be
treated
> as possessives, when in fact we know that partitivity and possession are
two
> different concepts.  "The weapon OF THE enemy" is possession, "all OF THE
> Klingons" is partitive.  While it is true that <<wa' bID tlhIngan>> can
be
> ambiguous because it can mean either "one-half Klingon" or "one-half of
the
> Klingons", the Klingon language is an ambiguous language and this is not
an
> argument against using <<bID>> as a number, which it clearly is.

Is it a number or a quantifier?  Interesting, I can't decide.  All numbers
are quantifers, but not all quantifiers are numbers.  "Many" is a
quantifier, not a number.  Same with "all" and "some" and "few", etc.  I
don't quite know where "half" fits in.

> Second, <<mangghom>> means "a soldier's group", i.e., an army.  This is a
> standard N-N compound for army.

I know you mean "compound noun", and not "N-N."  Saying "N-N compound" is
misleading, implying that compound nouns are interpreted as N-N (as your
translation does), which we really don't know.  We know that /mangghom/
means "army".  The interpretation "soldier's group", though plausible,
isn't given to us.  It's a guess.  We really don't know.  It could be
"soldier-group".  It could be something we haven't seen before, since
Okrand hasn't treated the interpretation of compound nouns yet.

>If you wanted to say "a group of soldiers"
> and use it partitively, then the correct translation would be <<ghom
negh>>,
> since <<mang>> is singular.  There is, however, no canonical evidence for
> <<ghom>> being used partitively.

You're trying to treat /ghom/ as a quantifier, which it clearly isn't.  I
don't know how we arrived here in a discussion of quantifers, numbers, and
partitives.

> One really needs to study Okrand's use of parts of speech more carefully
in
> order to understand his fluidity of grammatical concepts:

Obviously.

> 	1.  Numbers are treated as either nouns or adverbs

Okay, that's not entirely accurate.  Numbers may be used as nouns.  There
are also other uses for numbers, such as noun + number, as in /puq cha'/,
"child number 2".  Nouns are not used this way, numbers are.  Numbers, when
used with /-DIch/, are ordinals, and also follow the noun.  You can't add
/-DIch/ to any random noun, only to numbers.  Numbers, when used with
/-logh/, can be used adjectivally.  Not all numbers, only numbers with
/-logh/.   To say that numbers are nouns or adverbs is misleading and
over-simplifying.

[...]
> 	6.  Past participles are created by <<lu'bogh>> or <<lu'pu'bogh>>
>      constructions.

What?  Where did this come from?  What is /lu'bogh/?  Doesn't mean anything
to me.  Do you mean /-lu'bogh/, as in /targh leghlu'bogh/?  This means
something like "the targ which one sees."  No participle, and certainly no
notion of tense, since Klingon doensn't mark tense explicitly.  Really
off-topic, but that came out of nowhere.

> If you don't keep your eyes open for such peculiarities of <<tlhIngan
Hol>>,
> then you can also miss the obvious conclusion that "1/2 is a number!!!"

I'd say, if you shut your eyes tight and think real hard, you can convince
yourself that the Klingon word /bID/ is a number, because the concept 1/2
in English is a number.  But is /bID/ a number, or a quantifier?  Is it
strictly a mathematical concept, or does it have broader usage?   When I
say "I'm half Klingon", are we measuring molecules, or are we being more
general, as in "I have Klingon and Terran lineage"?  I think it's the
latter, which (to me) is more like a quantifier (along the lines of "many"
and "most"), and not simply a number.  So, my answer to this is, yes, "1/2"
is a number, but /bID/ is a quantifier.  Perhaps we'll learn that it's
simply a word for a mathematial concept, like pi has a known
interpretation.  Or maybe we'll learn otherwise.  But pretending that we
have the answer won't make it true.

Okay, where are we now?  I'm too tired to go on, so I'll see what kind of
response this generates.

--Holtej

Back to archive top level