tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Sat Jul 06 19:29:18 1996

Re: usage of Hoch and latlh

>qaSDI' 96-07-06 00:57:52 EDT, jatlh Voragh:
>
>>  	Hoch no'Da'	All of his/her ancestors
>>  	Hoch no'cha'	All of their ancestors
>
>These are incorrect.  The third person possessive suffixes have only one form
>each: {-Daj} or {-chaj}.  These phrases should be:
>
>{Hoch no'Daj}  All of his/her ancestors
>{Hoch no'chaj}  All of their ancestors.
>
>SuStel

bIqarqu'.  Arrgh!!  HIvqa' veqlargh!

The lesson here is:  ALWAYS check the text of TKD when arguing a case in
grammar; don't rely on your own, sometimes faulty, memory. Or your own
hand-written summary page of affixes taped above your desk.

Luckily, my point about not confusing {Hoch} is unaffected.

Now, where's that bottle of White-Out?

Voragh

Steven L. Boozer              | Who adheres slavishly to the order of words
University of Chicago Library | or sentences in the original will meet with
------------------------------| much difficulty;  his rendering will be
[email protected]   | faulty and untrustworthy.      (Maimonides)

Back to archive top level