tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jul 03 21:28:50 1996

Re: usage of Hoch and latlh

Dave Yeung writes:
>chay' "Hoch" "latlh" je vIlo'?
>How do I use "Hoch" or "latlh" to mean "all of" or "another of"?

I can't help much; the examples using {Hoch} are slightly contradictory,
and I don't know of any examples using {latlh}.

>TKW 74 has {Hoch tlhIngan} to mean "all Klingons".  How do I say "all of
>the ancestors"?  I think it should be {no' Hoch} because {Hoch
>no'} would mean "everyone's ancestors."  'ach jIlughbe'law'.

You're repeating an argument carried out long ago, with similar reasons
stated for preferring {no' Hoch}.  But we can't always determine things
logically... The {Hoch tlhIngan} usage is repeated several times in TKW
thus it's not likely to be a misprint.  I expect {latlh} will appear on
the new "wish list" for Okrand.