tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 01 19:24:56 1996

Re: Re: Re: --no subject--

[email protected] writes:
>*Sheakspear* vIparHa'be'.  jImugh 'ej jItIv.  *Sheakspear* vImugh 'ej jItIvbe'.
>How did I do on the second sentence? Translate is a verb so I couldn't use
>it as an object. Did I word it right?

"I translate and I enjoy."  I can't say it's "right" for the meaning you
want it to have, but I can understand it.

We *can* use verbs as objects, though.  See TKD 6.2.5 "Sentences as objects"
and the pronouns {'e'} and {net}.  You can say things like {jImugh 'e' vItIv}
"I enjoy that I translate" and {Shakespeare vImugh 'e' vItIvbe'} "I do not
enjoy that I translate Shakespeare."

The first sentence is a bit convoluted; do you really mean that you do not
un-dislike Shakespeare, or do you simply mean that you dislike Shakespeare?
The combination {-Ha'be'} puts a bit of a twist on the meaning.  Go ahead
and use it if you want to, but be aware of what you're saying.