tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jul 01 09:30:05 1996

Re: KLBC: Introductions

chIya'ghu writes:
>>The rare examples we have of apposition (putting a name next to a
>>description) place the name after the identifying phrase.  By that
>>pattern, I'd say "Mogh's son Worf": {mogh puqloD wo'rIv}.
>
>I look for a more direct translation.

Direct translations are not always good translations (and are often bad).

>How about {wo'rIv jIH, mogh puqloD} "I am Worf, mogh's son"?

No good -- {mogh puqloD} is just hanging there after the verb, and the
only thing that belongs after a verb is the sentence's subject.  In this
case, both {wo'rIv} and {mogh puqloD} are the object, and have to be put
before the verb.

>Or just {wo'rIv, mogh puqloD} "Worf, mogh's son".

As I said, we do have an example of how to use a name and a description
of something simultaneously, and the name follows the description.  The
complete introduction might be {mogh puqloD wo'rIv jIH}.

[This phrasing doesn't quite set off my personal-name-reference-style
detector; it is quite definitely *defining* oneself in terms of a name
and a family, and not just applying a label.]