tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Wed Jan 31 10:51:38 1996

Re: KLBC:DaHjaj

According to Mark E. Shoulson:

> >Date: Sun, 28 Jan 1996 15:28:29 -0800
> >From: [email protected]
>
> >In a message dated 96-01-23 23:44:52 EST, you write:
>
> >>Heghmo' DaHagh 'ach DaHeghQo'

"Because of death (or because he dies), you laugh it, but you
refuse to die." I'm not sure I get "laugh" as a transitive
verb, so I suspect you might reconsider your prefix.

> >> I'm trying to say. " You laugh at death, but you aren't dying."

HeghvaD bIHagh 'ach bIHeghbe'law'lI'. Hey, we are ALL dying.
Some of us are just a little more obvious about it. And if you
have problems with the idea of dying for the benefit of death,
the whole concept here seems to me that you are
andropomorphizing death, as if it were scentient and laughing
at/with it. The Klingon relationship with death would be an
interesting (if not terrifying) research topic for your average
Terran. I personally think {-vaD} both serves to describe this
relationship AND eliminate the ambiguity as to whether {-mo'}
is being used as a noun or verb suffix.

> >Jumping in:
>
> >I would try:  Heghmo' DaHagh 'ach bIHeghtaHbe'

Because of death (or because he dies) you laugh, but you are
discontinously dying. Is it that you were dying for a while,
but then stopped, and then later started again?

> bIHagh, not DaHagh.

Okay, if you are writing in English and your three word
sentence has two Klingon words in it, you should use some sort
of delimiter to indicate which is which. Otherwise, you just
wrote, "You laugh, you never laugh it." Hmmm. I guess that
really accidentally means exactly the same thing as "{bIHagh},
not {DaHagh}," as Clipped English for "You wanted to use
{bIHagh}, since {DaHagh} is not correct."

> >In my own feelings of Klingon, {-taH} may be omitted also.

maHeghba'be'taHvIS HeghtaH Hoch. yInlu'taHchugh Heghlu'lI'.

> Probably.  -Qo' is also interesting: you refuse to die, you won't die.
>
> ~mark

charghwI'
--

 \___