tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Thu Jan 25 07:28:05 1996

Re: Wish List

>at least, Mandarin kai1 means "open" and "turn on",
>while guan1 means "close" and "turn off".  I've heard the same
>relation in Yiddish-influenced English ("open/close the light" =
>"turn the light on/off").  This is opposite to the electrical-circuit
>sense, in which opening (or "breaking") a circuit turns OFF the
>appliance, and closing ("making") the circuit turns it ON.

This goes with Finnish amd Swedish too. When hear a Finn or
Swede say "Open the radio!" (s)he wants it to be turned on.

Terveisin/cyfarchion/salutoj/zai4jian4/sayoonara/Qapla'/best regards,
  Sami    mailto:[email protected] http://www.sci.fi/~pob41/
          suomi|cymraeg|esperanto|english

Back to archive top level