tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Tue Jan 23 07:07:21 1996

Re: chu' mu'mey nuqDaq vItu'laH'a'

On 22 Jan 96 at 19:35, Alan Anderson wrote:

> ghItlh 'etlhqengwI':
> >pawpu' chu' _HolQeD_.
>
> Beginning with the subject line, you are consistenly misplacing verbs
> used as adjectives.  TKD section 4.4 says that "stative" verbs can be
> used *after* a noun to modify it.  This should be {pawpu' _HolQeD chu'}.

jIyaj.  pIj mumISmoHbej chutmeyvam!

> >De'vam cho'anglaH'a' vay'?
>
> (I accept this use of the {cho-} prefix, but I don't much care for it.
> I highly prefer {jIHvaD De'vam 'anglaH'a' vay'?}.)

I see your point, and I do like your construction somewhat better.
Both though seem to me to have a problem, in that neither quite
correctly express the intent of revealing something *to* a particular
individual.

Context of course can help clarify the intent, as it does in this case.
But how would I say something like...  "Help me out.  Show it to
him!", where "he" is the recipient of the action, but it is for *my*
benefit?

(BTW, thanks for the additional words!)

'etlhqengwI'

Garrett Michael Hayes;  Client/Server Labs
8601 Dunwoody Place, Suite 332,  Atlanta, GA 30350
[email protected],  http://www.cslinc.com
770-552-3645 voice, 770-993-4667 fax

Back to archive top level