tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 22 19:25:52 1996

A few quick questions...

***UNIVERSAL TRANSLATOR ON***

    Greetings to all. I am a new member of this organization, and I
will be going VERY slowly in learning Klingon... especially since I
am at a university and accidentally left my copy of TKD at home,
along with my cassettes...
    My name is Dave Fuller, and I am a freshman theatre major at
Valparaiso University in Valparaiso, Indiana.
    I intend to go by the handle Rridma, which is NOT a Klingon name
(obviously), but a Greosh name (long story, don't ask), as I am the
appointed ambassador from the Greosh people (who incidentally have
their own language as well) to the Klingons.
    I have a few questions I hope someone can answer for me.
    Number one -- when, in English, quotation marks are used, what is
done in Klingon? For example:   Qor said, "Fire the disruptors." How
is this distinguished in Klingon?
    Number two -- I understand to use English proper nouns spelled as
they should be in English -- put in the name Cory as Cory and not as
QorI, for example -- but what if I wish to put in a word or two that
are neither English nor Klingon -- for example, something about the
Greosh people (or just a single Gre) that requires the name of the
main continent, or the name of the first alien contacted by the
Greosh (D'Jharthem Thasem)? If I write it simply as D'Jharthem
Thasem, won't this confuse people who can't figure out if it's
Klingon or English, since it's neither, but actually Ybbyrian? Is
there a punctuation mark for something like this?
    Number three -- What is the best way for me to jump in to this
messaging system? There are obviously some conversations that have
been going on for a while... How does a newcomer fit in?
    Thank you for your patience with my English. If your response
could possibly have the word "Rridma" in the subject line, it would
help me locate the answers more quickly.

    --Rridma

Back to archive top level