tlhIngan-Hol Archive: Mon Jan 22 08:08:19 1996

Re: "Native Speakers" (was Re: chu' mu'mey nuqDaq vItu'laH'

On 22 Jan 96 at 7:50, Christian Matzke wrote:

> This is interesting. I'm taking a Child Language course right now,
> and we have been learning how children learn the grammar of a
> language. We have read about a pair of deaf parents who had both been
> raised with english as their first language and didn't learn ASL till
> later in life. Their grammar was a bit iffy I guess, and although all
> their words were correct, they didn't quite have a handle on correct
> sentance structure or something. Well, when they had a child they
> began teaching him sign language as he was deaf too. A few years
> later when a linguist studied the family it was discovered that the
> young child used correct grammar etc., while his parents continued to use
> their own variation. Will we see the same sort of pattern with
> children that learn this language?

*Very* interesting.  I would be fascinated to know what other
influences on the child's language learning have been identified.  I
would suspect the child *had* to have been learning from other
sources which did use correct grammar.  Perhaps other relatives?

'etlhqengwI'

Garrett Michael Hayes;  Client/Server Labs
8601 Dunwoody Place, Suite 332,  Atlanta, GA 30350
[email protected],  http://www.cslinc.com
770-552-3645 voice, 770-993-4667 fax

Back to archive top level